Travails of soccer, ministry, and vuvuzelas...

Sunday, October 26, 2014

The coolest running group!

Because I am still on a completely different time zone, I was up quite early this morning and decided to go for a run at 6:30.  I ran out a mile or so and passed a few joggers and lots of walkers and can say that Rwandans will not be mistaken for Kenyans anytime soon.  As I was coming back towards the hotel, a very large group of joggers were coming towards me and chanting.  I thought they must have been police or military or something.  I stood to the side to let them pass and then a few of them started motioning to me and one of them said "Come Join!".  And I said "Why not?" not really considering that I had no money or no phone and no idea where I would end up.

 There were probably 150 - 200 of them made up of 1 woman and the rest men and me the mzungo (white person) and most of them were in some sort of running garb.  They were taking up a large chunk of a main highway and going at a fairly slow pace.  There were two guys with whistles leading the whole thing.  The group was chanting, doing call and responses, clapping, and hollering; it was so much fun!  We wound all around crazy backroads, passed the headquarters for Living Water International, and up some steep hills where the chanting grew lounder.  One guy even fist bumped me.  They ended up back at the stadium where they were trying to go in to use the gym.  I talked to one of them and found out they were some sort of student group.  I found my way back to the hotel just soaking up what an amazing experience it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment