Travails of soccer, ministry, and vuvuzelas...

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Campus Outreach

Beth -- my initial contact in Joburg
When I was in Johannesburg, I stayed with a group of Americans and South Africans who are part of an organization called Campus Outreach.  I had a lot of fun times with this group.  Pretty much all of the Americans headed west for the USA -- Ghana game.  One of the South Africans, Tumelo, served as my personal tour guide through the Apartheid Museum and SOWETO.  One night, I was over at the girls' house.  At one point, they were very excitedly talking about the Twilight movie coming out and how they were going to the opening night midnight viewing.  At which point, I said "Really?  Even here?".  I had high hopes for the South Africans, but they let me down.  They also made fun of the tiny cell phone that I had picked up in SA.

Some Campus Outreach folks getting interviewed by Al Jazeera TV
So what's going on with this Campus Outreach (http://www.cojohannesburg.org/) ministry?  The ministry is based out of Atlanta and connected with Perimeter Church there.  The ministry works in various Universities throughout the World.  For those of you familiar with Tim Keller, he is connected with the Campus Outreach in Joburg and is traveling there later this year.  Their mission, as best I picked up, is to evangelize and raise up leaders on the University Campus.  There is also an emphasis on staying connected with these leaders after they graduate and move into the workforce.  Brandon, one of the guys I was staying with, is an American guy who is responsible for maintaining these relationships post-College.  I really enjoyed my time meeting and talking with the many Campus Outreach folks I met.  A few of us even sought out the rare Mexican Restaurant in South Africa! 

No comments:

Post a Comment