Travails of soccer, ministry, and vuvuzelas...

Sunday, July 25, 2010

The kindness of strangers

I think most of us like to think that we are enlightened folks that are above the prejudices of ordinary people -- oh you know, other people.  Sometimes it takes an event to tear this illusion apart.

I needed a place to spend the night in Bloemfontein.  I could either seek out a hostel or try out coach surfing; Couch surfing is the idea of staying in the home of a perfect stranger.  I looked into it and found a couple of possibilities.  I contacted one and he wasn't going to be around.  That left a Muslim guy who had a couple of good reviews, but also had a profile that celebrated trips to Pakistan and Afghanistan.  This of course immediately brought to my mind Islamic fundamentalists and their not so fond view of Americans.  What to do...

I agonized over the decision and put it off.  As the World Cup went on, he got more and more great reviews.  It was reassuring to see a review of an Israeli holding a Jewish flag.  Embarrassed by my blatant stereotype, I realized I needed to trust in his hospitality.

And you know what, it went really well!  I arrived late around 10:30 pm, but yet he and the owner of the house (he rented from her) stayed up and had tea with me.  The next morning they both got up early and prepared a breakfast for me before I headed out.  They told me about places to stop on my long drive to Cape Town.  They were both so hospitable to me and I stood humbled in my bigotry -- no longer enlightened.

No comments:

Post a Comment